Does your windshield have a leakage problem? You need a windshield replacement Tulsa. All you need to do is use a silicone sealant to fix this problem. Apart from this, you can also use an excellent sealant to fix minor cracks and chips near the edges of your windshield. Here is a quick guide on how to use a windshield sealant like experts.
What is an auto glass sealant?
Windshield sealants are automotive repair products that are waterproof. Moreover, they are designed in such a manner that it can withstand extreme weather, temperatures, chemicals, and vibrations.
It is used to fill in the space between windshield replacement Tulsa and gasket. Another unique characteristic of a glass sealant is that it’s very fluid. This helps it to cover all the tiny holes and gaps which might allow leakage.
If the sealant is applied accurately, it will fill in every crack and crevice, and there will be no chance of leakage.
You can use Sealants for windshields, sunroofs, RV windows, and side windows.
Why use a windshield sealant?
There are many problems that a windshield replacement Tulsasealant can fix, such as :
- To fix minor cracks and chips around the auto glass.
- To fill in the gap between the frame of the car and the windshield.
- This rubber sealant helps in keeping the glass in one place.
- To prevent any possible leaking from the edges of the windshield.
When should you use a windshield sealant?
Now you might be wondering how I will know when to use a windshield sealant. It is effortless, and you should consider using a sealant when :
- You find water or condensation inside your car.
- When you find signs of corrosion or rust inside your car
If you find any of these two signs, it means that it’s time for you to use a windshield sealant.
Steps of applying windshield sealant
- It would help if you remembered that the main task of a windshield sealant is to prevent leaks. Therefore firstly, identify if there are any little gaps or cracks through which water can enter or not. You can use something like a garden hose for this step. Test small areas carefully and see if the water is entering or not.
- Now, use masking tape to protect the paint of your car and the windshield. Carefully apply the masking tape on the edges of the glass and the frame of your vehicle. Be very careful with this step. Don’t rush. Be precise while applying the tape. Cover the frame as well as the glass but leave the gaps. If the crack is bigger than the size of a coin, you might need a windshield replacement Tulsa, OK.
- In case you notice any signs of rust or corrosion around the gap or crack, it is time to treat that first. You can use sandpaper to clean the area. Rub the sandpaper on the affected area and then clean it. Now use a paint repair kit to neutralize the rusted part. Also, use several rust spray costs and then paint if required. Finally, apply a clear coat and let it dry for the whole night. This, however, is just a temporary solution. If you want a permanent solution to this problem, you will have to go for a windshield replacement Tulsa. Go to an expert and get rid of the rust and corrosion.
- Now carefully make a small angled cut on the tip of the auto glass sealant tube. Please do not make a large cut; it will only allow a large amount of silicone liquid to flow, which will create a huge mess.
- Place the open part of the tip and place it on the cracks or gaps. Squeeze the tube gently. Now fill in the gel until the gaps get filled with it. The gel should be at the same level as the windshield.
- With the help, your finger smoothes the silicone gel that you have just applied. The flowy nature of the gel will allow it to reach every gap and then fill it.
- Let the windshield sealant dry for about 10-15 minutes. Now take off the masking tape from the auto glass and the frames. It is important to note here that you should take off the tape before the sealant completely dries.
- Take the rubbing alcohol to clean the sealant. If you find excess sealant on the glass, there is nothing to worry about. Just carefully remove it using a razor blade.
- It would help if you left the sealant to dry completely for about 24 hours. Avoid exposing your car to extreme temperatures or rain on the same day.
Windshield Replacement Tulsa
Although repairing the windshield using a sealant is a unique solution, it won’t be useful every time. If the gap’s size is significant, it would be better to go for Windshield replacement Tulsa. There are quite a few shops in Tulsa, OK (Oklahoma) & surrounding suburbs of Broken Arrow, Owasso, Jenks, Bixby, Sand Springs, Sapulpa, Glenpool, and Coweta that have technicians who know the best way to apply windshield glass sealant.